The health and safety of Australians overseas is our highest priority. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not taking public appointments at this time. Our ability to provide some services may be limited. We will continue to prioritise consular services to those in genuine need. If you require urgent assistance, please contact our Consular Emergency Centre, Canberra (Australia): +61 2 6261 3305.
** COVID-19 Update **
We now advise all Australians not to travel overseas at this time. Australia has also strengthened entry restrictions that may apply to you or your family. Check latest advice at @smartraveller on Twitter or https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/africa/ghana or smartraveller.gov.au and Department of Home Affairs https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-media/current-alerts/novel-coronavirus
- We now recommend you return to Australia as soon as possible by commercial means
- From Friday at 9pm AEDT, Australia will not allow the entry of people who are not citizens, permanent residents or their immediate families. This is a necessary further measure to slow the spread of Covid-19.
- Australians can return home but will be subject to 14-day isolation.
- There are increasing numbers of cases of COVID-19 in Ghana and West Africa and stronger travel restrictions
- This means, the Australian High Commission is extremely limited in the consular assistance it can offer at this time
- The international environment is changing rapidly at this time. Consider your intended travel destinations, and how efforts to control the spread of the disease may disrupt your plans.
Welcome to the Australian High Commission, Ghana
A message from the Australian High Commissioner,
HE Mr Andrew Barnes
Welcome to the website of the Australian High Commission in Accra, Ghana.
I was delighted to commence my role as High Commissioner in June 2016. The High Commission in Ghana is also responsible for Australia’s relations with Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo.
The role of the High Commission is to advance Australia’s political, economic and other interests in all of these countries, and to work with partner governments on issues of common interest, including development, trade and investment, peace and security and the promotion of human rights.
My family and I are excited to be here in Accra and to learn about Ghana and the other countries of west Africa, and in doing so, to meet with as many people as possible during my time as High Commissioner and Ambassador.
I look forward to many enriching experiences working to advance bilateral relationships and meeting Australians and friends of Australia across the region.
I hope you find our website interesting and informative.
Australian High Commissioner