Australian High Commission
Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Togo

Services for Australians

Where to get help

If you are in Ghana, the Australian High Commission provides consular assistance to Australians.

If you are in Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Mali or Senegal, note that Australia does not have an embassy or consulate in those countries. By agreement between the Canadian and Australian governments, the Canadian Embassies in Ouagadougou, Abidjan, Bamako and Dakar provide consular assistance to Australians. This service includes the issuance of Provisional Travel Documents. More information on Provisional Travel Documents is available here.

If you are in Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone or Togo, neither Australia nor Canada has an embassy or consulate in those countries. The Australian High Commission in Ghana provides consular assistance to Australians travelling in those countries.

To be informed of events at the High Commission and consular news, join our mailing list by contacting:

What we can and cannot do

The Australian High Commission can assist Australians overseas, within limits.  See Assisting Australians overseas.

Travel information for Australians

Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Australians in Ghana can access a list of Doctors and medical centres in this document.

Notarial service fees to increase from 1 January 2019

Notarial service fees will increase from 1 January 2019.

The new fee schedule takes into account the annual rate of inflation in Australia since fees were last increased, the growing cost of delivering notarial services and rising demand.  The new fee schedule (attached) aligns with notarial service fees charged by commercial providers.

From 2018 onwards, notarial service fees will increase annually in line with the Consumer Price Index published by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

For some services there are free alternatives available to clients, such as witnessing of documents by medical practitioners or police officers.

A full list of the current notarial service fees can be found here.


Apply for a passport online.

Passport Fees.

Online registration for Australians overseas

We encourage use of our online registration service by Australians planning to reside overseas for extended periods, and those travelling to locations where there are security risks.

Living overseas

How do I apply for Australian citizenship for my child born overseas?

What are my Australian tax obligations while I am living overseas? 

How do I obtain birth, marriage and death certificates from Australia while living overseas?

How do I obtain a national police check from Australia?

What must I do to ensure the legality of my marriage overseas?

What notarial services can I access, including certifying Australian documents? 

Do I need a Ghanaian Drivers Licence to drive in Ghana?

Privacy Information

Personal information provided to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988. Information about how we collect, use, disclose or store this information is available online or by requesting a copy from the Department. Read more on the Consular Privacy Collection Statement here.

General information on the Department's Privacy Policy is available here

Former residents of Australia

Here is a gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services.

Returning to Australia

Here is a gateway to information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.

Elections in Australia

Check your Australian electoral enrolment online.

Read about arrangements for voting while overseas.