EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE HEAD OF MISSION
The Australian High Commission in Ghana invites applications for the position of Executive Assistant to the Head of Mission. The High Commission has accreditation in eight other countries in the West African sub-region. The role of the High Commission is to advance Australia’s political, economic and other interests in Ghana and in all its countries of accreditation and to work with partner governments on common interests including development, trade and investment, peace and security and the promotion of human rights.
About the position
The Executive Assistant will manage the Head of Mission’s appointment schedule, coordinate his or her programs and travel within Ghana and other countries of accreditation, assist in arranging social functions and coordinate official residence staff, prepare acquittal documentation for official functions hosted by the Head of Mission, and manage and prepare official correspondence in English and French as appropriate.
Duties and responsibilities
The applicant should possess the following skills and qualities:
- Qualifications in Administrative Management, Professional Administrative Certificates
- Fluency in English and French (oral and written)
- Advanced computer literacy, including use of the internet, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint
- Strong communication, interpersonal and representational skills
- Strong organisational and coordination skills
- Ability to work in a highly productive team
- Commitment to a high standard of ethics
- Demonstrated flexibility, adaptability and openness to change
- Availability to undertake occasional short-term travel
General Description of Duties
- Manage appointment and transport schedule for Head of Mission.
- Coordinate arrangements for the Head of Mission’s travel in the region, including liaison in French and English with the offices of ministers and senior government officials.
- Manage the Head of Mission’s correspondence. Translate correspondence into French when required.
- Maintain and extend a network of contacts to support the Head of Mission’s work.
- Assist in arranging major social functions for the High Commission, including large-scale events for several hundred people (e.g. Australia Day). Prepare acquittal documentation for official events hosted by the Head of Mission.
- Support the High Commission at official events, as directed.
- The Australian High Commission operates in a fluid and fast-paced environment and needs maximum flexibility in its staff.
1. At least three years’ experience working as an executive assistant. Tertiary degree in any field desirable.
2. Demonstrated advanced ability to communicate in English and French effectively, both orally and in writing, including the ability to make effective and persuasive representations, secure appointments etc. Demonstrated competence in a variety of written styles such as formal letters and diplomatic notes, e-mails and visits programs.
3. High-level organisational and coordination skills (prioritise, meet deadlines and contribute effectively to work objectives), pro-actively identify issues of relevance, anticipate problems and suggest solutions.
4. Strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively within a team. Ability to conduct business effectively with a range of clients, including senior representatives in the public and private sectors. Willingness to undertake other duties as directed.
How to apply
Interested applicants should respond in writing with a covering letter addressing their claims against the selection criteria for the position they are applying for, including specific examples of demonstrated experience. Applications should be accompanied by a CV and copies of academic qualifications. Applicants must also provide contact details for two professional referees. Applications must not be longer than four (4) pages, including covering letter. If longer applications are submitted only the first four pages will be considered.
Attractive remuneration packages will be offered to the successful applicant. Hours of work and other conditions will be outlined during interview.
Applicants are invited to apply by email to AccraHC.firstname.lastname@example.org. Hardcopy applications will not be accepted. The closing date for applications is 5pm Friday 28 December. Interviews will take place shortly after the closing date. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified.